Thursday, October 18, 2007

A Better Shot I : Take Lots

Hey readers!

I was thinking, and since I'm really interested in photography that I'd start a weekly or so feature called A Better Shot. The goal of this feature is to show to prospective photographers and casual camera-toters how interesting and fun it is to bring your camera with you always. In this feature I will be giving you tips on how to literally, take better shots! So, here we go!

The first thing I must say about photo taking that is extremely important is to take lots of photos. Yes, that's right. Take lots. Although you may think that this is hassle, that it will take up space on your SD card and also on your computer's hard drive, it is well worth the few extra seconds spent uploading them. There is a very simple and rational reason for this. Yes, you may be a great photographer with an amazing camera but sometimes its really tough to get that perfect shot with the perfect lighting to use for your display picture. If you constantly think "OK I'll just take on shot and be on my way", many times you will miss opportunities to capture great sights just because you are afraid of filling up your camera's memory. But just think; isn't one or two great shots better than a load of crappy ones?

One good way to get around this is to simply increase the volume of pictures that you take daily. Don't be afraid to snap some shots of whatever catches your attention; those orange leaves perfectly positioned in that maple, the mist shimmering on the lake, whatever! Bring your camera with you always and instead of taking one shot of that Maserati, take ten! In this way, you increase your chances of getting that great shot that you will be able to treasure for months and years. I have a perfect case-in-point over there; my display picture (blur) was one of many that I took one night during a city drive. And it turned out great!

So, whadya waiting for? Get out there and get shooting!

kamster

5 comments:

quixotic said...

This is good advice. When you want 10 pictures...take 50 haha. In my case I'd probably have to take 100 for the ten. =)

Got any other points on photography, maybe more directed at intermediate photographers?

kamster said...

Haha.. thank you
I don't want to give out my advice too quickly =P. Check back soon and I will be making more articles like the one you just read.

Anonymous said...

yo, good tips. I'm not much of an art fan but i can tell you're a passionate guy who knows his stuff. Hope you come up with some more stuff, keep up the good work.

P.S. This is nick, as you alreayd know. Hey anny, are you reading this? ??????

quixotic said...

Thanks for the comment!

lol okay true... in that case hope to see more content soon :)

kkgh said...

I prefer to use film for the exact opposite reason. It makes me feel like my pictures are worth more; like they carry more artistic weight. I'm not sure I agree with taking a whole bunch of pictures with the ambition that some "random ones" will turn out right. Does that really attest to (and sharpen) your skills as a photographer or just a guy who can press a button on a camera?