Thursday, September 18, 2008

Pass with Caution

I, like many students my age consider myself to be quite youthful; I am still living out my years as a child, as a teen, as a young adult. When adults comment on people like us, they often remark how "full of youthful vigour" we are, and how much we have to look forward to, how much we have ahead of us, and how much we have to yearn for. In a way, they are right. I'm really not that old, I still have years of education to complete, and after that, I have a career to begin, a family to start and endless more important decisions to make.

I have realized however, that, no matter how young and youthful you might think you are, windows of possibility are closing all the time. Each day marks another opportunity missed, an experience never to be felt but in another life, a person never to be met. And that stupid saying that they put at the end of cheesy novels that goes, "as one chapter of your life closes, another is just beginning", turns out to be very true.

Take myself for example. Yes, I am young, and I have very much to look forward to. I have yet to truly discover God, or find true love, yet at the same time, I have been passed over in the lottery of childhood sweethearts. It is, I believe for example, too late for me to pick up a sport and learn it to a competitive level. It is too late for me to pick up an instrument and master it, it is too late to realize that I should have kept in touch with my childhood friends so I could look back in thirty years and say "Remember we were yay-high to a grasshopper?"

Ok so, I wouldn't actually say that but you get my point. Not be a totally pessimist but that is what I find, is that the older you get, the more you realize what you could have done, what you could have made out of your life, the people you could have met and the things you could have achieved. Of course to totally adapt an attitude of having missed the boat would be to simply miss more opportunities that are still open to you.

Just had to say that... you know?

kamster

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

We all wished Life has a rewind button, but if we live in regret ;we'll never realize all that God has for us in the future.

You can look for or try to discover God with your intellect but you will only find HIM with your heart!!

As I talk to people all across the country and read the letters they write me, one of the recurring themes I hear is regret from past failures. Oh, how we wish we could rewind our lives and start over again and do it right. But you know what–even if we could, we'd just make other mistakes....by Mary Whelchel.

Finally: In all things God works for the good of those who love Him Romans 8:28

Anonymous said...

Haha Ryan. You really do have a deep side. But I guess if we did go back in time, things would be so different in the future. It's kind of amazing at how one tiny change can make a huge difference.

kamster said...

Yeah, it's kind of like that movie The Butterfly Effect, where the implications everything you do, no matter how small and insignificant it may seems, get multiplied over the many years of one's life, and if we had done just one thing differently, our whole life would have ended up differently. It's just a thousand different possible existances, I guess.

Anonymous said...

The butterfly effect is the movie that says if you step on a butterfly, a million will people will die correct? My friend mentioned it once so I thought it was weird.

Unknown said...

so sick
so deep
get more readers

Anonymous said...

mmm..fresh meat

Unknown said...

i hear you man
i see you man

kkgh said...

How old are you turning again? 80? Oh, my bad, you're only turning SIXTEEN. What happened to you?! Uni thoughts stressing you out too much?

Go out and live life! With each passing opportunity, so many others are opened up to you. Sure, as you pass through stages in life, doors close, but each stage brings something new that was not available to you before. And keep in mind that all of these moments and opportunities are only ever as significant as you make them to be. If you find your significance in the things that you have done, experienced and discovered, then there is never any need to live in regret.

kamster said...

Damn you are so deep, are you taking philosophy or somethin!??! My philosophy class is kind of boring, I figure we haven't yet arrive at that stage where we have an extremely engaging, insightful debate every class about the existance of God or about the morality of capital punishment. Makes me think twice about doing it in uni =S

kkgh said...

Shut up. I'm totally referencing Dad to this post.

Philosophy improves EXPONENTIALLY in uni. Actually, that's not true. I had a great teacher in high school for that course, which is what made it so good and challenging.