Friday, February 20, 2009

Phone Problems Solved!

A while ago I had this phase where I tried really hard to get some games on phone, a Samsung D807. I didn't want to pay money to buy from Rogers, and so I tried to download some free games off the internet. After doing some searching around, I found some sites that offered free phone game downloads. The problem was however, that the file extensions were really weird; for some games they were .jad and others they were .jar, and for a few games, both types of file were offered. By this point I was totally confused. Other than telling me to "download and install", I had no idea how to turn these confusing files into games that I could play.

In this situation, a site like File Extension Library would have helped me out greatly. Until today, I had no idea what those two file types were, but after visiting File Extension Library, I have learned that .jad files are actually a small type of file that contains instructions for the retrieval, installation and identifications of MIDlets (a java application that you can run on your phone - usually a game). I also learned from the file extension library that the .jad file opens your phone browser to download and install the game automatically. No wonder I couldn't get those games to work! My phone's browser was disabled! I realize that File Extension Library is a great resource that I can and definitely will use in the future when I'm dealing with confusing file types, such as .bup, .jar and .dll files, just to name a few. Indeed, the comprehensive library contains dozens of odd file extensions, the likes of which I have not (and hope not) come across. However, with software becoming obsolete the moment it's bought, you never know when you'll come across some file your friend has sent you that you have no idea how to deal with. Like today; how was I supposed to know that .doc files (the standard for Microsoft Word documents, or so I thought) are no longer used, and instead have been swapped for .docx? Good thing I came across File Extension Library at the time I did. Hopefully now I'll be able to get DawnOfDarkness.jad to finally work!

Cheers!

Kamster

0 comments: